Today I’m serving up one of my favourite recipes for hanging out with friends – guacamole!
Playoff hockey! Sunny night on the deck. Whatever the reason, if you’ve got people coming over keep, this recipe up your sleeve.
Five reasons why you need to try this guacamole :
- The taste is fresh and satisfying. I mean I get requests for this stuff all the time
- It’s so easy! Start to finish in 5 to 10 minutes if you’re handy with a knife.
- It’s cheaper than picking up a little tub from the grocery store as long as avocados are in season.
- It’s healthy! No added salt or preservatives. Full of healthy fats, potassium, a source of protein as well as other vitamins and minerals.
Whoa, timeout! Did you say fat?
Yeah, fat. Listen, I’m not a nutritionist but here’s what I’ve read: the majority of the fat content in avocados are unsaturated fats. Those unsaturated fats could lower cholesterol levels and improve heart health.
My research did uncover one word of caution: go easy on the portion sizes! While heart healthy, avocados are rich in calories. Like all things, pace yourself.
Still if it’s heads up vs cheese dip I figure this guacamole is healthier! (and tastier too, but that’s just me)
Guacamole from Scratch
Here is what you need:
- 4 avocados, ripe
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 a lime
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Here’s what you do:
Mash em together.
Basically it’s that simple. Heck, it’s not gourmet cooking but it tastes great!
When my buddies are over I try to serve salt free or reduced nachos. The dip is packed with flavor so you won’t miss it.
Or if your crew likes to go even healthier, try using this guac as a dip on fresh cut veggies!
The next day if you’ve got leftovers you can spread it on a burger or try making tacos or fajitas.
Hopefully you guys love it!
Mr Healthy Scratch